What you will need to pickup from the store is largely a matter of taste when it comes to the sauce, the cheese, and the toppings.
The ingredients to make a complete pizza often varies because much of what you will do after making the dough depends on whether you are making the pizza with home cooked sauce or just simplifying things by using a commercial jar sauce.
The ingredients and preparation to make the dough never changes. Once you have nailed down a reasonably simple dough making process the rest of making homemade pizza is the fun part. See below for some basic suggestions we have conquered as well as some other more extensive ideas. This recipe makes two 16-18″ pizzas depending on how thick you prefer your crust.
Ingredients to make the dough
- 4 cups Bread flour (Gold Medal) is the most cooperative when starting out
- 1 envelope of Fleischmann’s fast-acting Instant Yeast
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups of Hot water (110 degrees F)
Preparation instructions to make the dough
- In a large mixing bowl evenly combine bread flour, instant yeast, salt, sugar.
- Once evenly combined add olive oil and begin mixing while adding hot water.
- Using a wooden spoon start to hand mix the ingredients together into a ball, the consistency will come together as you go. If sticky, slowly add flour to the mixture while collecting the mix into a ball.
- Once dough is collected into a ball like shape, dump out on to a floured board or bakers mat and begin kneading, add flour while kneading if necessary.
- Then place ball in a glass or stainless steel bowl which has been pre-oiled with remaining 2 tsp olive oil to prevent sticking later on. Cover with plastic wrap, place bowl with dough in cool dry place such as a cupboard one-hour.
- After one hour has timed out and the dough has risen (see pics) dump out on to a floured surface, and form into a ball, slightly pressing dough together.
- Then slice the dough into two equal halves and cover each half with an individual piece of plastic wrap (see pics), then let it set for ten minutes.
- After 10 minutes uncover the dough and begin to roll out each half separately on a floured surface. I usually start rolling it out over a floured pizza stone to ensure the size before transferring it to a large non-stick pizza pan.
- Using your fingers continue to spread the dough out to size pressing outer edges to form the thickness of the crust you desire (lightly oil outer edge with olive oil for a crispier crust.
- Next, add shredded mozzarella cheese over the sauce, and I sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese (optional) for extra taste.
- Then add desired toppings over the cheese. This is the flexible part so feel free to add whatever toppings or seasonings you like, see below for more suggestions.
Basic or Commonly Found Toppings
- Meatballs (sliced)
- Mushrooms (sliced)
- Sausage (crumbled)
- Ground Beef (crumbled)
- Pepperoni (slices)
- Green or Red Peppers, Banana peppers, Jalapeno peppers (diced)
- Onions (diced)
- Anchovies (canned)
- Black Olives (sliced fresh or canned)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Once preheated to temp, place pizza in the pan on the middle rack of the oven for roughly fifteen minutes till cheese begins to brown. Cook time varies according to how crispy you like the bottom to be.
- For a crispier crust you can also place the pizza on directly on an oven safe pizza stone without the pan.
Other Miscellaneous Ideas
-taco seasoned ground beef, shredded sharp cheddar, diced tomato
-cubed pineapple, diced ham, sliced black olives, sprinkle brown sugar
Buffalo Chicken & Bacon Pizza
-Cubed chicken seasoned w/buffalo hot sauce, crumbled bacon, ranch dressing
-Shredded lettuce, diced tomato, diced cucumber, black olives, Italian dressing