Ingredients & Preparation
- 6 cans -Beef Consomme (10 oz.)
- 3 cups -Water or Beef broth (approximately 24 oz)
- 3 large -Onions (sliced)
- 1 stick -Butter
- 2 tsp -Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 lb. -Swiss Cheese Slices
- 1 cup -Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 3 cups -Seasoned Croutons
- 1 bunch -Triple Curl Parsley
*thin sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)
- On cutting board slice three large onions into thin rings, cut the rings in half.
- In a large dutch oven style pot melt butter on low heat, when butter is completely melted add onions to pot and cover. Stir frequently till onions become translucent. Roughly 10 minutes, but do not let them burn or brown.
- Once the onions are translucent add 6 cans of beef consomme, water, and Worcestershire sauce then bring to a boil. When it reaches a rolling boil, lower heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes. If using mushrooms add now.
- Preheat oven to broil, place crock pot bowls out, set covers aside, and fill each bowl with some croutons.
- Pour soup over croutons to fill bowl, allow to absorb a bit, then add more soup till the bowl is just below full.
- Cover with two slices of Swiss cheese, sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top, and place in the oven on a flat baking sheet, on the top rack.
- Broil till cheese becomes bubbly, melted, and lightly browned if desired.
- Garnish top with parsley before serving
REMINDER: the crock pot bowls will be extremely hot, I cannot stress that enough. Use oven mitts to remove bowls from oven and set aside.