Ingredients & Preparation
- 2.25 lbs. ground beef or turkey meat
- 2 poblano peppers (seeded, chopped)
- 2 jalapeno peppers (seeded, chopped)
- 2 green chili peppers (seeded, chopped)
- 2 tsp garlic (minced or pressed with a garlic press)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 cans diced tomatoes 14.5 oz. (do not drain)
- 1 lb. black beans or red kidney beans (soaked overnight in salt water)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil (vegetable, canola, safflower)
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-2 splashes of your favorite hot sauce
Chili Seasoning Mix from Scratch
Note: 2 packets of any pre-mix chili seasoning if preferred
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Brown the turkey meat in a skillet, strain and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven style pot, add 2 tbsp of cooking oil on low heat.
- Once oil is hot, add onion, garlic, and minced chili peppers cook until the onions turn translucent.
- Next puree all the peppers (poblano peppers, jalapeno peppers, and green chili peppers) together in a food processor, cover and continue to cook on low heat, covered. Then add the beans and diced tomatoes, continue cooking for roughly 8 mins covered.
- Next add meat (turkey or beef) and start folding in the seasoning mix + 2 cups of water till mix is completely blended into the ingredients and simmer a bit longer.
- Add a splash of hot sauce (more if desired), and cilantro leaves. Simmer on lowest possible heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot in a cup or a bowl and topped with shredded cheddar cheese.
*Sour Cream (optional)
*Saltine Crackers (optional)
Makes 6-8 servings
Please note the views and opinions expressed in the written works contained within this site are solely those of the individual authors themselves. They are not intended to, nor meant to imply any type of endorsement, professional relationship, or affiliation to any of the individual people, organizations, or associations mentioned in the site’s publication. All written work is the sole property of the author of this website and may be subject to copyright laws.