- 1 lb -thick cut bacon (cooked, chopped)
- 1 lb -macaroni elbows (large)
- 1/3 cup +1/4 cup -butter (divided)
- 1 -8 oz plain cream cheese
- 3/4 cup -onion (finely chopped)
- 6 tbsp -all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp -ground mustard
- 3/4 tsp -kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp -ground black pepper
- 4-1/2 cups -whole milk
- 4 cups -shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup -crushed Ritz crackers
- 1/4 cup -chopped jalapeno peppers
- Boil water to cook macaroni, add salt to the water if desired.
- While macaroni is cooking, start preparing the bacon in a frying pan.
- Preheat oven to 350° and cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente; when finished drain water and rinse elbows with cold water.
- In a dutch oven style pot, heat 1/3 cup butter over medium heat; and saute onion until tender.
- Slowly stir in flour and seasonings until blended
- Gradually stir in milk, then cream cheese and bring to a light boil, stirring constantly; until it starts to thicken, and you can add a little extra milk if necessary to even out the consistency.
- Next stir in sharp cheddar cheese until completely melted. then stir in cooled macaroni.
- Blend in chopped Jalapeno peppers and bacon.
- Transfer the entire mixture in to a greased 13″x 9″ inch baking dish.
- In a microwave, melt remaining butter; toss together with breadcrumbs made from the Ritz crackers and sprinkle over casserole.
Bake uncovered until heated through approximately 30-35 minutes.
Please note the views and opinions expressed in the written works contained within this site are solely those of the individual authors themselves. They are not intended to, nor meant to imply any type of endorsement, professional relationship, or affiliation to any of the individual people, organizations, or associations mentioned in the site’s publication. All written work is the sole property of the author of this website and may be subject to copyright laws.