Ingredients & Preparation
- 1 spiral ham bone
- 16 oz. pkg of split peas (rinsed)
- 16 oz. pkg baby carrots (split in half)
- 2 cups of ham (diced or chopped)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 3 qts. water
- 2 tbsp butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil (vegetable or canola)
- 1 Goya ham seasoning packet
- In a large dutch oven style pot add 1 tbsp of cooking oil and place on medium heat. Once the oil is hot add the chopped onion and 1 tsp of minced garlic, then cook till onions become translucent but do not let them brown.
- Once onions are translucent add 2 tbsp of butter and stir to blend.
- Next add 3 quarts of water and a teaspoon of salt (optional) to the pot, bring to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling add the spiral ham bone, lower heat to medium, and allow to bone to boil for 45-60 minutes.
- Remove bone from water and set aside.
- Add 1 qt of chicken broth, ham seasoning packet and stir. Then add peas, carrots, diced ham and return to boil.
- Once boiling lower to simmer, slightly crack the pot top to vent, and continue to simmer for a minimum 60 minutes.